This morning (Wednesday, October 5, 2022), a woman was jogging on Bruce Road in Chico, California, when she was fatally hit by a minivan. It is not clear if there were any witnesses to the accident that can shed light on what happened. Police investigators are tasked to determine if the minivan ran a red light or if the woman had entered the street without a crosswalk signal.
The woman’s identity has not been released at this time because her immediate family has not been notified, according to the latest reports.
From our entire team at the Law Offices of Larry S. Buckley, which has an office here in Chico, we extend our sincere condolences to the family of the jogger who passed away from her injuries. As a pedestrian accident law firm, we have seen the devastating aftermath of these accidents secondhand far too many times. We want to do our part to help bring pedestrian accidents in our communities to an end, so we have a quick list of pedestrian-driver safety tips here.
Safety tips for pedestrians:
- Wear bright clothing that makes you highly visible to drivers.
- Use the sidewalk where available—vehicle and bike lanes are unsafe for pedestrians.
- Use crosswalks to cross the street whenever possible.
- Only cross the street, crosswalk or not, after checking both directions at least twice.
Safety tips for drivers:
- Do not drive while distracted or texting.
- Yield the right-of-way to pedestrians whenever possible.
- Follow the speed limit at all times.
- Expect pedestrians at city and suburban crosswalks, even early or late in the day.
For more information about the Law Offices of Larry S. Buckley and our legal services in Chico, California, you can call (530) 413-0245. If you need our legal counsel for an accident, injury, or wrongful death claim, click here to schedule a FREE case evaluation.